Tuesday 7 May 2013

Yeah I can make that for less

 I was waiting in line in the Post Office in Helsinki last week (as you do) to post a piece of knitting home, and I noticed a stand of wooden beaded necklaces and bracelets. In natural colour, and some unvarnished looking tints. I had a gorgeous red wooden necklace like this before, and every time I wore it the dye leaked onto my skin, so I was attracted to the natural ones. Then I saw the price tag, of 25€ for the necklace. For a simple wooden bead necklace. Yes it was locally, ethically made, but still more than I could justify on a simple bead necklace! So I put it back and continued my queue.

Around the corner from the Post Office is a store that is like a combination Pound shop, craft shop, school art supply store and party supplies. I always have a browse through there whenever in Helsinki, as it's completely random as to what I find, and what ever it is, it's cheap. There in the craft aisle, were beads exactly the size of those on the necklace I was just looking at, and a bag of smaller ones too match, plus a card with enough elastic to thread them, grand total, around 4€.



The bag contained just the right amount for a necklace and bracelet, with just a few left over, and only a couple in the bag were imperfect. Too easy. The elastic however was too thick to thread the smaller beads, so I had to hunt down an alternative. 


 I found a card of clear jewellery elastic at John Lewis when I got home, perfect, now I just need a patient night of threading.

No comments:

Post a Comment