Thursday 25 April 2013

Great British Sewing Bee

I have so loved watching The Great British Sewing Bee. Considering how many hundreds of hours of cooking shows there are to choose from any given week, it's about time there was some airtime given to craft other than those crazy demonstrations on the Shopping Channels.

The group of contestants were all lovely, and very entertaining to watch, no scheming or strategy's at play, people actually helping each other during a reality TV competition, who would have thought it. After the four episodes, and three years living here, I had also finally nailed my Birmingham accent, thanks to Sandra! There did seem to be a disproportionate number of contestants from Brum, even though the filming appeared to be in London. Sandra was the only one with a proper Brummy accent though.

The set was like a dream craft room, with bolts of fabric, rolls of ribbon and every thing between. I'm not sure about whether it might inspire those who have never sewn to take it up, seeing people who have been keen on it for years assembling garments incorrectly, unable to fit garments, and tears and tantrums. Most of the errors and tears being brought on by the short time allocated for the garments, but then anyone who sews knows that happens every time you decide to make something for an event (or was that really just me, still sewing my wedding dress the night before!)

For me though, it's made my fingers itch to get back to making my own clothes, although I do remember I drifted away from it because of all those fitting issues and tears. It also didn't help that I was working as a dressmaker for a costume shop, and sewing all day took all the interest out of sewing for myself. A critical look at most of my current wardrobe though is telling that firstly I don't wear many things these days that involve much tricky fitting, and secondly, it wouldn't be hard to make them a better fit or quality.

This gorgeous little girls dress, from Lauren would be enough to inspire anyone with little ladies in their life to get sewing, surely?


Watching Ann so serene and calm with incredible accuracy was inspirational though, and I love that granny square scarf.


I think this face from Lauren sums it up, any craft or hobby that can bring you to tears but then bring this much joy, has to be worth investing time in.


Can't wait for another series, of perhaps other spin off shows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment