Tuesday 14 January 2014

Well hello there 2014, when did you get here?

I have so much knitting to update here - but if I keep waiting to get myself organised January will pass without an update too. 

So for today - a long overdue post that's not about knitting, amazing right? I certainly have become a knitter obsessed, and when I catch you up on Decembers knitting later, I'm sure you'll agree.

Last week I had a visit to Stockholm again, and visited Skansen for an afternoon. It was wet, and I already had a cold, so it wasn't the ideal day to be out drawing animals, but I wanted to call in and say  Hi, as it had been a while, and managed to just get a few sketches done between rain showers and cold winds. Just simple pencil sketches - with my gloves on! 

The otters were so excited to see me, they are usually so hard to spot, but they came swimming across and jumping around a the glass when I arrived. Five minutes later their keeper arrived with a bucket of fish, I guess it wasn't me they were excited to see after all. 

Otters feeding time
 It was amazing to see how much the Elk foal had grown, its nearly as tall as it's mother, and she stands about 6 foot to her shoulders. That's a lot of growing in six months! Clearly built for this climate, happily snoozing in the middle of a wet, muddy paddock.

Sleeping Elk
The Reindeer foal had grown a lot too, but didn't come out of the food shed the entire time I was there, so a quick little sketch of a snoozing reindeer, all tucked up for warmth. 

Snoozing Reindeer
I've never drawn the horses at Skansen before, I believe these are Ardennes - a short stocky horse with very large eyes, which seems they can't be drawn without looking like they belong on a 12 year girls bedroom wall with a glitter frame. 

Swedish Ardennes
I can't let a post go without a hint of knitting though - so while in Stockholm I did have a yarn shopping afternoon, so much goodness!

Gratuitous yarn shot - on hotel bed with bad lighting

Happy Knit year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment