Thursday 23 January 2014

London zoo

I've been in London this week, so it's all been about sketching and overindulging in yarn!

Feels like forever since I had a sketching trip to London zoo, so as the winter weather gods were kind (well it wasn't raining for a change). It seemed like a chance too good to miss. The sun actually shone for about 20 minutes, but even that couldn't defrost my poor fingers, I really must knit myself some flip top mittens for outdoor drawing days, my fingerless ones weren't enough.

My favourite part of a visit, always the Lions, I just love this little family at London zoo, and it's so great to see they are all still together, even though the cubs are really big now! The girls all have such expressive faces, and the old guy, is looking really old - although his teeth look in excellent condition, maybe he's not old, just a crusty weathered outdoorsy guy? If you catch him when he's sleeping in their warmed indoors room, he makes eye contact and just looks like such a gentle calm guy who would love a pat.

I could, correction, I do, watch them for hours, and sometimes if they are cooperating, I remember to sketch them. I chose to just do simple pencil sketches for the day - as I'm a bit rusty.

one of the girls was sunning on their deck

these two were crammed together on a (presumed) warmed ledge in their indoor enclosure

The big guy was snoozing tucked in a corner with his feet up the wall


No comments:

Post a Comment