Thursday 6 September 2012

This weeks life drawing

Back in Leeds this week and I attended Leeds Life Drawing, which I look forward to any time I'm in Leeds for a Wednesday night. It's not an instructional class, just a gathering of people of varying skill levels and techniques - the gallery provides chairs, boards, cartridge paper, charcoal and most importantly the model.
Usually there are a few 10min poses, a 20min and then a torturous 50minute (I've never been to a group who asks a model to keep the same post for 50mins without a break!) This week I decided to go with more detailed pencil drawing rather than the usual free broad charcoal sketches I've created at previous sessions.

past session 10min sketch

I also wanted to try drawing from life with watercolour pencils and my new pentel aquash water brushes - a great little invention, they hold water and have a soft brush nib. Quick to whip out, create a wash of your pencils and pack them back in your pencil case, no water to spill, no drips, no mess and so far I've had no leaks.
pentel aquash
 
So here are my pencil sketches from the shorter poses - had plenty of foreshortening practice this week!


 
Finally this is the sketch using watercolour pencil and the wash brushes - didn't really amount to much after a 50min pose, but it's a start.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment