Friday 21 September 2012

Leeds Life Drawing

I was lucky to be able to attend Leeds Life Drawing again this week - unfortunately the model was taken ill and had to leave after the first 10min pose. After some coaxing (some might say bullying!) members of the group were convinced to model, clothes on of course. Turned into a really good session - although I think a few of the volunteers might be a bit sore after taking slightly awkward poses to hold for 10-15mins.

It sounds easy, but just try sitting in what you think is a comfortable position, and remain still for 15mins - even just focusing on one spot for that long starts making you dizzy! I've sat for portrait classes before, where to save money on hiring a model students took turns, thankfully as people were only drawing my face I could wriggle a bit, but I had spots before my eyes after 5mins of staring at the same spot and still had another 15mins to go - it was head spins by then. How models stand in fairly unnatural poses for 20, 40, even 50mins and barely move I don't know. I stand still drawing for more than 5 minutes and something starts aching.

Only have a couple of pics to post from the session - I decided to give the watercolour pencils and aquash brushes a further go

hmm, it's a bit Ah-ha-esque maybe?
.
 
I added a bit more to one of my watercolour drawings from the last session - the pale blue was just lost against the white background, adding some colour contrast has really brought it forward.

 
Have also been back to the Leeds Art Gallery and City Museum. While enjoying a lovely pot of tea in the Gallery's Tiled Hall (they do have lovely Earl Grey there, and such a good size pot), I took a window seat and had a view out over the chess players. There are two giant sized chess boards in front of the Gallery, and unless its pouring with rain there are always players there throughout the day. I didn't realise until I looked at this page later that the angle I had my book at (balanced on the radiator next to my table), combined with the angle peering down from the window - all my chess guys have a definite lean!
 
 
 
drew the visitors rather than exhibits at the museum
 
 
I'm hoping for some better weather on my next Leeds visit (not likely in September, but hopeful), as I've noticed some interesting building tops and features while wandering around this time and planning to have a day drawing the sights just above peoples heads that they probably never notice walking the city footpaths. 

No comments:

Post a Comment