Wednesday 2 October 2013

Been bitten by the sewing bug

Oh dear technical glitch (can't possibly be user error!) I just found my September writings all happily still sitting there in draft form - whoops, clearly I forgot to set their publish times, oh well. So here's what I was thinking about before I went on holidays!....


Once upon a time I used to sew, a lot. In fact I used to sew for a living, working for a costume hire store, making, repairing, altering costumes - anything and everything from 1800s ball gowns to tutu's for toddlers, to 2man horses, and Santa suits. Should you ever need a jabot in a hurry, I'm your girl.

What, you haven't heard of a jabot - I have made, repaired and ironed enough of these for three lifetimes! Although having just found this pic on gothiquerose.com for $16.95US, perhaps I should whip up some more!
I became interested in sewing through my Mum, who sewed a lot through my childhood and teen years, perhaps too much some might say, I shall never forget my embarrassment at my music teacher telling me, at 15, that she was really impressed with the bra's that my Mother had made for me, and clearly been showing around in the teachers lounge....shudder. I have no shameful memories though in association with some glorious very high waisted chords, with self fabric braces - they were cool, THEY WERE SO!

Four years at Design school meant most of my sewing was modifying charity shop bargains, one pink paisley sheet into a fab skirt, and matching tie,why yes I could.

The Eurythmics fan years
I was married around the end of my time working for the costume hire business, and being just a slight control freak made my wedding dress, the two bridesmaid dresses, and the flower girls dress. I think one of the best interventions ever made by my BFF was to demand I put down the needle and step away from my dress, when at 9pm the night before the wedding I contemplated beading the entire hem. I feel I should give a warning here - early 90s man mad fibres, shield your eyes!


Then for some reason sewing kind of died in my life, there were the odd curtains, tracky pants, crazy Christmas outfits, and fancy dress costumes, but the lack of fabric and pattern options killed the joy of it for me, and it had become all about rushing and frustration of finishing something for a special occasion.

me take fancy dress too seriously, never
and why stop at just making your own costume, when you can dress all your friends?
the skills you learn - roller skate RM boot cover, much safer on alcohol than the real thing (in theory)
Over the last year, probably as the result of getting more into following blogs, I've started to get itchy fingers to get back on the sewing machine. Plus with online shopping, and the resurgence in 'make do and mend' there are so many options out there now for fabrics and patterns. There's a whole community out there of like minded people to share the highs and lows with, and reach out to for advice - something I never had in real life back in my sewing days, I only had one friend who sewed.

I have a number of black tie functions coming up soon, so I'm trying to satisfy the urge with some hand sewing, adding trims and modifying some bargain purchases. I had great fun pouring over sewing pattern catalogues and materials in Stockholm, picking out bits of trims to make a belt, and some hair decorations. I scribbled away on ideas (at least the sketchbook was getting used, kinda). 


I might have to put a sewing machine on my Christmas list, then again, perhaps I should make it a reward for myself if I manage to reduce my wool stash by half (wouldn't want to over commit) and paint on at least half the canvases I have leaning against my desk? Oh yeah and there's the cross stitch to finish.

hmm, yes, maybe the machine will have to wait. 




1 comment:

  1. I believe Ikea have a sewing machine, perhaps it flat packs. Ha ha

    ReplyDelete