Monday 10 June 2013

Hottie Cover

A few months back while away on a trip, I ran out of knitting. I decided to call into a local yarn store and pick up a few balls of wool and a crochet hook and 'relearn' how to create granny squares. As with knitting, my Mum taught me to crochet when I was young, but I've never been terribly proficient in it. I've certainly never followed a pattern, other than one for a granny square. I learnt enough to be able to freestyle outfits for my barbies, and that was where crochet and I parted!

So after fiddling around for the week, most of it had come back to me, and I was left with a (small) pile of granny squares, which have sat in a bag ever since returning from that trip.

I had an outstanding promise of making a new cover for our  microwave heat bag, so as step one of cleaning up the outstanding projects, and starting on that stash, I grabbed out the granny squares, and figured they would work as the start of a cover.





I simply double crocheted the squares together, and did an extra row around the total. Then picked up the knitting needles and picked up a row of stitches from the dc along the bottom, and knitted up the back. Used dc again to attach the knitting to the crotchet front, along the sides, which was great as it was quicker than stitching and I'm sure will be stronger. At the top I only stitched in an inch at either side, then picked up stitches again from the crochet edge and knitted a rib neck opening.

By sheer dumb luck, the cover fits perfectly, seems very strong (it gets used multiple times daily, so the cover gets removed and replaced a lot for reheating), and exactly used up the three balls of inexpensive wool I bought to practise the crochet.


One WIP finished, and three balls busted from the stash - and a needed item made!


Now what can I finish or de-stash next....?

2 comments:

  1. This is cute! I like the colours (very patriotic - for BOTH countries)!!! :-)
    I'm liking the little crocheted bits - looking forward to seeing the finished garland (I can tell it's going to be super-cute).....
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carly, I don't think you can ever go wrong with red, white and blue really!

      Delete