Tuesday 22 January 2013

Dusseldorf and Schloss Burg

Over the weekend we made our first visit to Germany, Dusseldorf specifically, to visit friends. They were fabulous hosts and took us out and about despite all the snow. It was very brief but a lovely introduction to Germany. I was embarrassed though, my worst effort ever in speaking the language of another country, it was so easy to fall into letting my friends communicate for me, I'm not used to having someone with me who speaks the language! Instead though I felt I was probably a bit of a rude tourist to not put more effort in 'bitte verzeih mir Deutschland!'

Courtyard view inside Schloss Burg 
We took a day trip to Schloss Burg, a 12th Century castle. Its quite extensive with various areas devoted to displays and quite a labyrinth of stair cases and walkways between. As you can see from the snow, it was quite a cold day, so first stop was for hot lunch, overlooking the snow covered valley below. Then lots of poking around the castle. For more gorgeous photos of the castle check out Crafted by Carly's photos, one of my hosts, who wrote a lovely post about our day out.  

I love looking at Horses and Dogs in paintings. These guys were to the side of a very large image of a joust. The one under the striped cover just looks so comical, and his companion seems to be eyeing him sideways with embarrassment.

found Wally
Horses in full flight in paintings and drawings are a beauty to behold. I'm not a horsey person in real life, truth is they kind of scare me with their sheer scale, but they have such a magnificent physique to draw and paint. 

not great photo quality, this mural of a medieval chase scene ran around the upper walls of a hall
This is how I'd one day like to see my painting and craft room looking. Our house has a very long hall and little storage, and I think a whole length of these apothecary drawers would look fantastic, would have to be organised though, imagine if you couldn't remember what drawer you put something in?



There was a small display of historical, regional handicrafts. The intricacies of these embroidered tapes is amazing, how long it would have taken to make such decoration by hand. I think I shall adopt the use of the German word 'Bandmuster' to describe them, sounds so much more fitting and grand than the English 'tape'. Reminds me of the terrific Swedish word I learnt for knitting 'Stickning'

Bandmuster: from the Wuppertal region
There was a large calligraphy document, which I seem to recall I was first attracted to by the beautiful writing, and secondly by a description of the content of the document. So I have it in mind that I wanted to translate it when I got home, but no recollection of why. When I get round to it I'll probably find out I've photographed a very fancy fire drill instruction sheet. 

detail of the document

Moving through a foyer between display rooms, this fellow had been demoted to holding a brochure stand, seemed a little degrading for a former fighting knight?

cigars, cigarettes....
 There was a small area focused around hunting tools, bows and knives, with an animal diorama, featuring native owls, deer and....the elusive Vampire bear. I love taxidermy animals, and I love spending hours sketching them in museums, and have been very fortunate in the last couple of years to visit Natural History Museums in Portugal, UK, Ireland, Finland, Italy and Sweden. The naturally posed ones make great drawing opportunities, but nothing beats the comedic value of a stuffed animal with incorrectly fitted teeth. I laughed my way around the Natural History Museum in Florence, as it was case after case of animals with whopping great ferocious teeth, even a Vole in attack mode, I can't help but wonder if the same taxidermist prepared this fellow.

I wish my brother George was here - who said taxidermists don't have a sense of humour


Giggling over, we escaped the Vampire bear and headed back out in the cold, and back home for a lovely cup of tea.

Add more of Germany to my list of places I want to visit.

PS - want to see some more teeth?

this fellow lives in Helsinki Natural History Museum,
I love his blusher too

this smiley fellow lives in Florence Natural History Museum

























No comments:

Post a Comment