Wednesday 6 November 2013

A different type of Autumn

This week we are in sunny California, and amazingly, this is what Autumn, or Fall, looks like! This is the view from my hotel room, how very spoilt. It's even been warm enough for people to be swimming in the gorgeous resort pools, in the middle of the day when the sun is overhead anyway. I had to go buy sunblock! I seriously can't wrap my head around the fact this is November (maybe that sounds odd coming from a native Aussie, but I've gotten used to European seasons now).

So it's been rather odd, that I've been sitting out on the cabana by the pool, knitting socks! This month I've joined my first ever KAL (knit a long for the uninitiated). I'm still trying to understand the online knitting world, discussion boards etc on Ravelry, and decided to get into it and give it a try. I have become addicted to watching video podcasts about knitting, which led me to find Knitabulls, who have a group on Ravelry of 4000 members! Knitabulls is the lovely Diane, who appears to have a very laid back approach on the whole KAL rules - some other groups I've previewed seem to have long complicated rules and conditions to even join the group, never mind enter anything.

The November KAL is Socks, something I've tried only two times so far, one pair successful the other a total failure, here's hoping this time around goes well. I had to dig out my Knitting Master class book again to get the Invisible cast on right, so knitted up the toes at home before coming away, then I got this much knitted on the flights!

Wow did I get in a mess though, trying to take yarn from the inside and outside of two balls of wool within one bag. I spent more time unraveling knotted yarn than knitting I think, but loving the effect of the self striping against the solid.

I may have overestimated how much knitting I would need for my trip though, I brought these socks, yarn for a new winter hat, some boot toppers that I've started but want to start over, and my shawl to finish the lace edge! Of course, I've spent more time queuing up even more patterns! Somehow there's just never enough hours to knit is there?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment